PhD, McGill University
Office: H 1225-41
Telephone: (514) 848-2424 ext. 2112
POLI 204 Introduction to Canadian Politics
POLI 324 Parliament and the Charter
POLI 407 Parliamentary Bills of Rights
POLI 428 Constitutional Politics in Canada
POLI 600 Public Policy and the Governmental Process in Canada
POLI 611 Judicial Politics and Policy Making
- James B. Kelly and Matthew Hennigar, “The Canadian Charter of Rights and the Minister of Justice: Weak-form Review within a Constitutional Charter of Rights,” International Journal of Constitutional Law 10:1 (2012), 35-68.
- James B. Kelly, “Judicial and Political Review as Limited Insurance: The Functioning of the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act in ‘Hard’ cases” Commonwealth and Comparative Politics 49:3 (2011), 295-317.
- James B. Kelly, “A Difficult Dialogue: Statements of Compatibility and the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act,” Australian Journal of Political Science 46:2 (2011), 257-278.
- James B. Kelly, Governing with the Charter: Legislative and Judicial Activism and Framers Intent. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2005.
- James B. Kelly and Christopher P. Manfredi, eds., Contested Constitutionalism: Reflections on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2009.
- James B. Kelly and Michael Murphy, “Shaping the Constitutional Dialogue on Federalism: The Canadian Supreme Court as Meta-Political Actor,” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 35 (2005), 217-243.
- James B. Kelly, “Bureaucratic Activism and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms: The Department of Justice and its entry into the Centre of Government,” Canadian Public Administration 42 (1999), 476-511.
- James B. Kelly, “Reconciling Rights and Federalism during Review of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms: The Supreme Court of Canada and the Centralization Thesis, 1982-1999,” Canadian Journal of Political Science 34 (2001), 321-55.